HHCBC January 2018 Meeting Notes
Welcome to The Black Sheep Ale House
- Happy New Year! Thanks for joining us tonight. Welcome back to the Black Sheep.
- The Black Sheep Ale House has been a great place for the club, since its inception.
- The menu selection and taproom staff are always enjoyable. It’s great to be back!
Thank You Sam! . . . For service to the club as President since the beginning. We’re looking forward to keeping up the club tradition in 2018, onward.. . .We’re looking to continue and build upon the tradition and mission that started this club–Through Homebrew Education, Events, Clinics, Classes & Brew-Days. Social Events, like Brewery Tours, Tap Takeovers and Bottle Shares; Promoting Craft Beer Culture on Long Island, by supporting craft-focused businesses and organizations.
As always, this is your club…We need participation, ideas and feedback!
- John DiSpirito – Brew Day at the Brewer’s Collective – “Between Us Italians” Oatmeal Stout
- Glenn Winters – Brew Day Participant at Lithology Brewing
- Chris Bonacorsa’s ‘Crisby’ Lager is still available at the Brewer’s Collective’s NEW Taproom
- Tom Beach – Zymurgy Editorial – “Flag on the Play” – January/February 2018 edition.
Upcoming Pouring and Social Events:
- Saturday, January 20th – Wort Share at Coney Island Brewery, judging will take place at Coney Island Brewery, sometime after February 24th. Awaiting more details from the brewery. Plan as of now is to meet at the brewery around 11am.
- Friday, January 26th – Taste of RVC– Fundraiser for the RVC St. Patrick’s Day Parade – St. Agnes’ Parish Center – 2 Pouring Spots Available!
- Saturday, February 10th – Social Opportunity – Hops & Props fest at Cradle of Aviation
- ‘Early March’ – Jamesport Grain-Share – 10lbs of Base Malt provided by Jamesport Brewery, to be shared with participants. Brewed Beer will be brought back to Jamesport for a BJCP Competition in Early March—TENTATIVE. Awaiting plans from Jamesport, Starfish Junction and AssLIHC.
- Saturday, April 7th – Social Opportunity – 3rd Annual Cask Ale Charity Event, The Mill Roadhouse in Westhampton Beach – Fundraiser for Kids w/ Type1 Diabetes. Raised $3,000 in 2016; $5,000 in 2017 and looking to set records in 2018.
- Saturday, April 7th – Pouring Event – Brew for Autism – Staten Island – Wonderful Event! We attend last year for a great cause and enjoyed the time spent with the other clubs, all for charity. Sing-up and details will be sent out soon.
- Saturday, April 21st – Pouring Event – Blue Point Cask Fest – One of the best events of the year. We’re expecting a full turnout. The club has two available 5-gallon pin casks available for pouring, plus more to come as the event gets closer. Sign-up and details will be sent out soon.
- Awaiting More Info on Spring Craft Beer Fest and the rest of 2018.
Flash-Sale for Tasting Courses:
The Brewery District – Taste of NY – Westbury, NY – Purchase tickets at the front counter. Limited space, Only 28 seats available.
February 2nd – Ballast Point – $5 Tickets, 6-8 PM, 4 beers and Appetizers
February 15th – Bronx Brewery – $5 Tickets, 6-8 PM, 4 beers and Appetizers
Stay Tuned on the Facebook HHCBC Discussion Page for more details on upcoming events and social gatherings.
Upcoming Competitive/AHA/BJCP Events:
Several members have won or placed at these events over the years. We’d like to continue that tradition!
February 9th – 10th – Homebrew Alley VII – Fifth Hammer Brewing, LIC—-Deadline January 28th
February 24th – Oregon SheBrew Competition – Deadline February 16th
March 10th – 28th Annual Hudson Valley Competition – Deadline February 23rd
National Homebrew Competition – Registration January 23-30, 1st Round in Brooklyn, April 6-22 (Must be an AHA Member to participate in NHC)
If anyone has questions or reservations about brewing or entering competitions, or even just to volunteer, steward or attend an event, see one of the board members or BJCP Judges in the club. We’ll be glad to help!
Club Competition. Three Rounds in 2018.
Deadlines in March, June, September.
March 20th Deadline for the First Leg of the Competition – Winner has a Chance to Brew at 1940’s Brewery. Details and Sign-Up will be sent out shortly.
Chopped Competition. Three Rounds in 2018.
Deadlines *Tentatively* in May, August, November.
Details and Sign-Ups will be sent out shortly.
Upcoming BJCP Judges
- BJCP Mead Exam, February 25th. Andrew Luberto has 4 remaining seats in the Mead Study Group, in Calverton —-First Session is January 17th..
- BJCP Beer Course – June – August 2018–Exam in August. John DiSpirito will be hosting another round of training classed. Last year’s session was outstanding, with everyone who took the tasting exam passing with very good scores. Special “Thank You” to John DiSpirito, Andrew Luberto, Eric Grimm, Chris Bonacorsa, Peter Tripp, Tom Weber, Sam Schuster and all those who made that class possible. Sign-Ups and Details will be sent out shortly.
Homebrew Feedback Table
As Always, see John DiSpirito and the rest of the BJCP judges in the club tonight to get interactive feedback for any homebrew samples that you may have brought tonight.
Travel Planning for HomeBrewCon
- Chris Bonacorsa has agreed to head up the committee for planning related to HomeBrewCon this June in Portland, OR. He’s been in touch with the AHA, and has posted a form to sign up if you’re interested in going. Please see Chris if you’re interested.
- See Claudia and Danielle after the announcements to sign up or renew for 2018.
- $25 Charter Membership
- $35 Charter + Tri-Club
- $40 Family Membership
- $50 Family +Tri-Club
NEW Discount: Lyft – Use Code “HHCBC” – To ensure safe driving to-and-from events, both club and non-club related, anyone can use code “HHCBC” for $5-Off each of their first four rides when you sign up on the Lyft App. Spread the word and plan your safe driving travels. Be responsible!
Thanks to The Black Sheep!
- We want to take a moment to thank Vinny, Bob, Liam and Ian and the whole crew at the Black Sheep! They’ve always been great friends to the club and we’re always glad to be back here.
- Don’t forget! February 24th ‘Got Wood’ Event, 9:30 PM, Thursday Evening. 25 Wood/Barrel Aged/Influenced Brews for Your Enjoyment.
- Next meeting will be Tuesday, February 20th at E.A.T. Gastropub in Oceanside