National Homebrew Competition Round 1 Results
- Congrats to club member Chris Bonacorsa for taking first place in two categories! Chris won Category 21 (Spiced/Herb/Vegetable Beer) and Category 23 (Specialty Beer). Next step is the AHA NHC 2nd Good luck Chris! Bring home the gold for HHCBC!
B.E.E.R. Homebrew Competition
- Brewer’s East End Revival, one of our fellow LI clubs, is holding their annual homebrew competition.
- Competition is on Saturday, May 9th at GSB.
- Entries will be accepted until May 1st.
- H&H is a drop-off spot for entries.
Shoreline Beverage Discount
- Members of HHCBC are eligible for a 50% discount on growler fills at Shoreline Beverage in Huntington.
- They’ve got 20 beers on tap and a great craft beer selection, with the ability to do a make-your-own six-pack.
- Stuart Haimes from Shoreline attended the meeting and told us a little about the shop. Also, Stuart generously donated the gift basket that is part of tonight’s raffle.
Queens/Bronx Bus Trip Recap
- This past Sunday we had a bus go to Gunn Hill, Bronx and Singlecut Breweries.
- Great day and a lot of fun.
- We are working on planning another trip. There has been a request to do a western Suffolk trip visiting GSB, Blue Point and Brickhouse Brewpub.
- There’s also been a request for an overnight trip, perhaps to upstate NY or central PA. If you have interest or suggestions, contact Danielle Malone.
Spring Craft Beer Festival Recap
- The club had 12 beers poured over two sessions.
- It was a great success and we had a great time.
Great South Bay’s Bayfest
- Fun, relatively small festival at Great South Bay. May 16th.
- The club will have 8 beers being poured at the festival.
- Still have three spots open if you’re interested. Contact Erik Albrecht or Ken Dalton with interest or questions or complete the signup form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1HMCb6aJssE1z79gaM5hBkmuw9SOWgj-zSnyA4o7lK6Q/viewform?c=0&w=1
- Visit http://www.greatsouthbaybrewery.com/bayfest/index.html for tickets.
The New York Best Wings Festival
- Sunday, June 7 is the NY Best Wings Festival.
- Being put together by one of our own members, Matt Kourie.
- The club will be pouring here as well, and with 8 beers being poured.
- Contact Ken or Erik with interest/questions. Signup form will be sent around soon.
Social Brew Day Planning
- If you are interested in taking part (in any capacity), please complete the survey for participating in a social brew day.
Tasting Class Announcement
- The next tasting class will be on IPAs and held on Sunday, May 31 @ 12:30 PM at Homebrews & Handgrenades.
- Cost of the class is the cost of beer and materials. Should be around $10 (possibly more if we get some hard to get beers).
- Please only RSVP if you will be attending. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/beer-style-class-ipas-tickets-16643640577
- Treasury update provided.
- If anyone wants further details, email or PM Sam Schuster
- Still looking for a “friendly” lawyer (meaning cheap) to help with the incorporation of the club as a non-profit entity. If we don’t find someone in the next few weeks I’m just going to call some lawyers. Incorporation will use up a portion of the treasury.
- We are also considering purchasing a couple of corny kegs for the club so that people who don’t presently keg but want to pour at an event will be able to do so.
Club Only Competition
- As mentioned last month, we are holding a regular club-only competition and will be starting it on a quarterly basis.
- If the winning beer is deemed to be good enough, the winner will brew their beer with the guys at Barrier. Since Barrier doesn’t have a pilot system, it will be brewed on their full-sized brewhouse.
- The beer will be poured in the tasting room, and potentially distributed to their accounts. So the winner could have his or her beer being poured in local restaurants and bars.
- We will be opening up the registration process in about a week online, and will be limiting it to 20 entries, with a max of one entry per person.
- H&H will be the drop off point for the entries, and all entries will have to be in by June 7.
- There are still some T-Shirts at H&H waiting to be picked up.
- There is one Extra Large shirt available if anyone wants it.
- I’ll be sending around a link to order for the next run. It will be the same as the last run, so if you didn’t get one you’ll have an opportunity to do so.
- We’ll also be doing zip-up hoodies. Like the T-Shirts, they will have the HHCBC logo on the back, with the “grenade brigade” crest on the front. Sweatshirts will be $32.
- We’ve separated the “official” club facebook page from the discussion group, so if you haven’t done so already, make sure you “like” the club page to stay up to date on all announcements.
- The next meeting will be at Black Sheep Ale House in Mineola on Tuesday, May 19.
- Our guest speaker will be Mike Voigt from Rocky Point Artisan Brewers.
Thanks to Mr. Beery’s
- Big thanks to Steve and all the great folks here at Mr. Beery’s for being our host.
- Steve’s been a fixture in the LI craft beer scene since before there was a craft beer scene here.
- Also, in addition to this fine establishment, Steve just opened another location in East Rockaway. So make sure you check that out as well.
Guest Speaker – Ryan Neibuhr from Anderson Valley Brewing Company
- Ryan Neibuhr is the Northeast Sales Manager for Anderson Valley Brewing Company and is a 21 year veteran in the craft beer industry, holding positions in sales, brewing, and retail.
- Ryan did a great job discussing some different beer styles, spoke at length about experimenting with your homebrew, and gave us some insights on the development of the craft beer industry.
- In addition to the Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout and the Spring Hornin’ Spring IPA that were on tap, Ryan also brought some bottles of Anderson Valley Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Stout for us to try.