HHCBC December 2015 Meeting Notes
LIBME Homebrew Competition Recap
- The club had a great showing at LIBME’s annual competition, with three of our members taking five gold medals. Full results here: http://beermalt.net/
- Eric Sowa won first place in Ciders
- Tim Schilling won first place in Strong Ales and in Sour Ales
- John DiSpirito won first place in British Pale Ale and Specialty Ale; and
- John won Best in Show and Second Best in Show for his beers.
- The next big competition is the first round of the National Homebrew Conference Competition, which will take place in late March/early April. So start planning your brewing.
- We can look at holding our own open competition if we can get a few more BJCP judges certified in the club.
Upcoming Festivals/Pouring Events
Taste of Rockville Center
- We poured at this event last year. It’s a charity event, so all for good causes.
- The event will be Friday, January 22 in RVC.
- If you’re interested in pouring, see Ken or Eric S. Since it’s a charity event, only one brewer per beer will be granted admission.
Hops & Props
- Saturday, February 27 at the Cradle of Aviation Museum in Garden City.
- We are in discussions with the promoter to determine what presence we will have at the event.
- If you’re interested in pouring, see Ken or Eric S.
Spring Craft Beer Festival & Cask Ale Festival
- These are a little further out but want to get people thinking about them for brewing schedules.
- Spring Craft Beer Festival will be at Belmont in Early April. We will have as many brewers as we can at this event.
- The Cask Ale Festival at Blue Point is normally mid- to late-April. We are reaching out to see how we can participate.
National Homebrew Conference
- Next year the NHC will be held in Baltimore. June 9-11.
- Great event, with tons of seminars & discussions. A club night, where clubs set up and pour their best beers, and just all around a lot of fun.
- We’ve formed a committee headed up by Ken, Eric S., and Danielle. We are looking for two to three more people to sit on the committee and help organize and plan the event.
- Info on the conference can be found here: http://www.ahaconference.org/
Club Incorporation, Constitution & By-Laws
- Club leadership met last week and approved the constitution and by-laws for the club.
- The Draft Constitution and By-Laws can be found here: http://www.hhcbc.org/?page_id=425
- At the January meeting, we will have a vote to ratify the constitution and accept the by-laws. So if you want to vote, please attend the January meeting.
- Once the constitution and by-laws are adopted, we will file the incorporation papers for the club.
- Membership dues will be $20 for the year ($35 for families).
- Membership will entitle you to:
- pour at festivals and other events
- get priority signups at classes, clinics and other events
- access membership discounts we are negotiating at local restaurants, bars, breweries and merchants
- borrow club equipment (with a security deposit)
- Club leadership positions will be filled for the first year as follows:
- President – Sam Schuster
- Vice President – Ken Dalton
- Secretary – Peter Tripp
- Treasurer – Danielle Malone
- Membership Coordinator – Jason Scott
- Marketing and Events Coordinator – Eric Sowa
- We are still working on the Hop Class. Sam did a trial run of how he was going to run the class, and didn’t think it was helpful enough to be worthwhile.
- We may do another style class while Sam works on the hop class.
- Watch Facebook and email for more info.
- The next meeting we will Tuesday, January 19 @ Press 195 in RVC
- Our speaker will be a rep from Sixpoint Brewery
Thanks to Barrier!
- Thanks to Evan, Katie and all the great folks here at Barrier. It’s good to be back “home” and spend our holiday time here.