HHCBC February 2018 Meeting Discussion Items
Welcome to Eat Gastro Pub!
- Thanks for joining us tonight.
- It’s great to be back! Some of the HHCBC Members were here just a couple weeks ago for a Founder’s Tap Takeover, featuring the recent release of CBS!
- Congratulations to the HHCBC and AssLIHC Award Winners at this year’s Homebrew Alley Homebrew Competition, hosted by the NYC Homebrewers and Fifth Hammer Brewing LIC. Chris Cuzme and Mary Izett did a wonderful job organizing and hosting the two days of festivities.
- Winners included:
- 1st Gregg Kelley – British Brown Ale
- HM Michael Murphy – Scottish Export
- 3rd Brian Bennett/Donald Horning – Sweet Stout
- 3rd Kenneth Heiss – American Pale Ale
- 2nd Kenneth Heiss – American Brown Ale
- 3rd Thomas Zientarski – Imperial Stout
- 3rd John Dispirito – Witbier
- 3rd Mark Williams/Justin Hansen- Burning Wild Specialty Beer
- 3rd Michael Murphy – Imperial Coffee Stout.
- 3rd Tom Weber – Kentucky Common
- 1st Roger Wanner/Joe Abruzzo – Berry Mead
- HM Tom Weber – Cider with Other Fruit
- Special Recognition for Peter Tripp Masons Apple Juice 1st Place in its category and Best of Show Cider
- February 25 – Randoph Brewpub in Brooklyn (DUMBO) has a limited homebrew competition (30 entries) happening on Feb 25. Announcements and social gathering will be from 3-7pm. All are invited. I know the club has at least a few entries, come on down and support your fellow club members.
- Sunday, March 4 – Brew day at Homebrews & Handgrenades for the yeast experiment project. A strong basic wort will be brewed and taken home, with each participant diluting it to 2.5 g of “normal” strength wort and then fermenting with one of ten ale yeasts. In the April meeting we will then have all ten beers for tasting to see the difference the yeast brings. John will be sending out a signup sheet.
- March 10th – 28th Annual Hudson Valley Competition – ***Deadline February 23rd
- Sunday, March 18th – Deadline for anyone who brewed for Coney Island’s Wort Share. The Awards and Social Gathering will be held Sunday, March 25th. Everyone should try and swing by for good brews, good times and good luck to our club members who have entered! Winner gets a chance to brew with Coney Island Brewing!
- Interclub social – Still working on firming up the dates but looking at mid- to late-march at The Brewer’s Collective in their new, larger taproom. Will be exclusive for those members who have done the interclub option. We will let you know the date as soon as it’s locked in.
- Saturday, April 7th – Social Opportunity – 3rd Annual Cask Ale Charity Event, The Mill Roadhouse in Westhampton Beach – Fundraiser for Kids w/ Type1 Diabetes. Raised $3,000 in 2016; $5,000 in 2017 and looking to set records in 2018. – Jen Davis (LIBME)
- SAME DAY! Saturday, April 7th – Brew for Autism, in Staten Island. Tickets are Sold Out, but stay posted to our social media pages to catch up on festivities for this great fundraiser event. The Club and Pete’s Shop will be pouring for a good cause.
- SAME WEEKEND! Friday, April 6th through Sunday, April 8th – First Round Judging for the National Homebrew Competition. Anyone seeking to volunteer as a steward can sign up. Several HHCBC/BJCP Judges will be attending; Several Club Members have entered under the AssLIHC Banner to get points for all of Long Island. Awards and announcements are Sunday Evening, 4/8, so swing by to show support!
- Saturday, April 21st – Blue Point Cask Fest – Find these coveted tickets and join us for what is known as one of the THE BEST events of the year!
- Awaiting More Info on Spring Craft Beer Fest and rest of 2018.
Stay on the Facebook Group Page for upcoming events and social gatherings.
Upcoming Competitive/AHA/BJCP Events:
Club Competition. Three Rounds in 2018.
- Deadlines in March, June, September.
- March 20th Deadline for the First Leg of the Competition – Winner Chance to Brew at 1940’s Brewery.
- Details and Sign-Up IS AVAILABLE NOW!
Upcoming BJCP Judges
- BJCP Mead Exam, February 25th. Any interest, let one of the board know and we can contact Andrew Luberto for any remaining seats!
- BJCP Beer Course – June – August 2018 = [JOHN]
Chopped Competition. Three Rounds in 2018.
- Deadlines in May, August, November.
- Details and Sign-Ups will be sent out shortly.
Travel Planning for HomeBrewCon
- Chris Bonacorsa has agreed to head up the committee for planning related to HomeBrewCon this June in Portland, OR.
- He’s been in touch with the AHA, and has posted a form to sign up if you’re interested in going.
- Please see Chris if you’re interested.
- AJ has limited club shirts available for purchase.
- See Claudia to sign up or renew for 2018.
- $25 Charter Membership
- $35 Charter + Tri-Club
- $40 Family Membership
- $50 Family +Tri-Club
Reminder, Discount: Lyft – Use Code “HHCBC” – Plan you travels, get home safe!
Any announcements? Items for Discussion? Open floor for questions
- Next meeting will be Tuesday, March 20th at Croxley’s Ale House in Farmingdale. Very Special Guest, the rep from Guinness will be our guest speaker! You won’t want to miss this event….And the Intra-Club Competition entries will be collected at the same meeting!
Thanks to EAT Gastropub!
- We want to take a moment to thanks to Joe and Pete for setting this up tonight!