HHCBC July 2017 Meeting Discussion Items
Welcome to Barnshed!
- Congratulations to Bryan, who’s been an active member of the club for some time, for getting through the morass that is opening a brewery and actually getting open and making some great beer! Big round of applause!
- And thanks for opening up on a night off to have us down!
- The Club BBQ will again be hosted at Eric Sowa’s home this Saturday, July 22 @ 2PM.
- If you’re attending, please bring towels, bathing suits, chairs & whatever you signed up for a dish.
- If you’re bringing a keg, let Eric know ASAP.
- 3926 Jerusalem Ave, Seaford. Grey House, please enter the backyard via the left side of the house by the driveway.
- Sunday, July 23rd @ 1PM will be the gathering for the Interclub All Chinook Hopped Competition sponsored by The Brewer’s Collective.
- August 12 – Long Island Craft Classic – Heckscher State Park – All spots full. Tickets: http://www.licraftclassic.com/tickets.html
- August 19 – Stan Hieronymous Seminar in RVC – https://www.eventbrite.com/e/hops-from-lupulin-101-to-defending-your-doctoral-thesis-stan-hieronymous-seminar-tickets-35329469394
- August 19 – Stan Hieronymous Book Signing @ Homebrews & Handgrenades in Baldwin.
- August 20 – Stan Hieronymous Brunch @ Fifth Season in Port Jeff. – https://www.eventbrite.com/e/beer-brunch-with-stan-hieronymus-tickets-35344869456?aff=utm_source%3Deb_email%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dnew_event_email&utm_term=eventurl_text
- September 16 – Manhattan Homebrew Cup. http://www.draught55.com/events/
Upcoming Festivals a bit further out – all are available to sign up on the website:
- Sept 24 – Taps & Talons – Sweetbriar Nature Center, Smithtown
- Sept 30 – Pour the Core – Heckscher State Park
- Oct 21 – Punktoberfest – Great South Bay Brewery
- Nov 4 – Brew for a Cure – The Well, Brooklyn
- Nov 11 – Great Beer Expo – (TBD) – Formerly @ Belmont
Congrats to the pro-am selection from the Big Brew Day @ GSB:
- Round of applause to Russ & Danielle Malone and AJ & Joe D’Amico for being selected by GSB as the entry into the GABF Pro-Am competition.
- The saison was brewed @ GSB during Big Brew Day.
- The BCJP exam is being held on August 6 in Port Jeff. As of today there were still seats available.
Next Chopped Competition:
- We’ll kick off the next chopped round at the next meeting.
- Style is Fruited Saisons
- All who have participated in the last round will be automatically included; if you didn’t participate in the last round and want to get involved, please see Ken.
- New teams will be selected by the next meeting, along with fruit assignments.
Rung Out Milk Stout
- Scott Rung won an earlier club-only competition, and his beer was selected to be brewed and served at The Brewer’s Collective.
- It’s been a while, but the beer has been brewed and is now available at TBC’s tasting room.
- The club has procured two pin casks (5 gallon) for use at festivals and events. If you’d like to brew a cask ale for a club-event or festival, contact Eric or Sam.
Next style class
- Sour Style Class signup is now live.
- Sunday, August 13 @ 1PM @ H&H
- Cost will be higher than prior classes. Figure around $20-25/pp.
Open floor for questions/announcements
- Barrier has a can release Saturday 7/22 for two beers brewed with Grimm.
- John has club shirts available for purchase. $10 for charter members, $15 if you’re not.
- Universal Beverage in Carle Place now offering 10% discount to charter members.
- Next meeting will be Tuesday, August 15 @ a location to be announced.
Thanks to Barnshed!
- Again, big thanks and congratulates to Bryan for opening up and inviting us.