B.E.E.R Homebrew Competition Results
- Congrats to and a round of applause for club member Carl Geiger for placing in four categories and an honorable mention in one more! Including 3rd place Best of Show and 1st Place in category for his Classic American Pilsner. Carl also won 1st place for his ESB, his Belgian Dark Strong Ale, and his Kolsch, and won an honorable mention for his American. Great job Carl!
Western Suffolk Bus Trip
- Next bus trip will be Saturday, July 25. The itinerary will be Great South Bay Brewery, Spider Bite Brewing, Blue Point Brewing and finishing at Brickhouse Brewpub.
- Cost will be approximately $58. Contact Danielle Malone to reserve a spot or with questions.
- There’s also been a request for an overnight trip, perhaps to upstate NY or central PA. If you have interest or suggestions, contact Danielle Malone.
Great South Bay’s Bayfest Recap
- This past Saturday was BayFest at GSB.
- The club had 5 beers being poured at the festival.
- We had two brewers pouring for the first time, Eric and AJ.
- Lot of fun and good feedback received.
The New York Best Wings Festival
- Sunday, June 7 is the NY Best Wings Festival.
- Being put together by one of our own members, Matt Kourie.
- The club will be pouring here, and with 8 beers being poured. Still room for more brewers. Sign up here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1WI0RJRo9kiisqrMHOEWoPXfgEdWHctrojgiGkK_Qvag/viewform
- If you are interested in brewing for the event, but don’t presently keg, contact Erik Albrect or Ken Dalton. We’ve got kegs available to borrow and can walk you through the process.
- If you’ve not poured at a festival before, speak to AJ or Eric Sowa on their perspective for participating for the first time last Saturday.
- Contact Ken Dalton or Erik Albrect with interest/questions.
Social Brew Day/All Grain Clinic Planning
- Our first “official” club social brew day & all grain clinic will be held on Saturday June 13 and will be hosted by John Trowbridge.
- We’re going to shoot for three groups brewing but will depend on who signs up.
- To lead a group, you’ll need to bring your brewing equipment to John’s.
- Sign up here: http://goo.gl/forms/Bw3iU8gijC
- See me if you have any questions after the speakers.
Upcoming Tasting Class
- The next tasting class will be on IPAs and held on Sunday, May 31 @ 12:30 PM at Homebrews & Handgrenades.
- Cost of the class is the cost of beer and materials. Should be around $10-12.
- There are four spots available. Please sign up only if you are going to attend.
- We are doing another round of the Chopped Brewing competition.
- Contact Ken Dalton if you have interest in participating or leading a team.
Club Only Competition
- As mentioned last month, we are holding a regular club-only competition and will be starting it on a quarterly basis.
- If the winning beer is deemed to be good enough, the winner will brew their beer with the guys at Barrier. Since Barrier doesn’t have a pilot system, it will be brewed on their full-sized brewhouse.
- The beer will be poured in the tasting room, and potentially distributed to their accounts. So the winner could have his or her beer being poured in local restaurants and bars.
- URL to enter is http://www.hhcbc.org/competition/
- H&H will be the drop off point for the entries, and all entries will have to be in by June 7.
- There are still some T-Shirts at H&H waiting to be picked up.
- We’ve got two shirts available. Large and Extra Large.
- The next run will be put in the next couple of weeks.
- If you’re interested in ordering a shirt or hoodie from the next run, fill out this form: http://goo.gl/forms/Yn21KhhXWs
- The next meeting we will be going “home” to Barrier Brewing in Oceanside on Tuesday, June 16.
- We are working on the speaker and will let you know shortly.
Thanks to The Sheep!
- We want to take a moment to thank Bob, Liam and all the great folks at the Black Sheep for being our host.
- Bob and The Black Sheep have been great friends to the club and we’re very glad to be back.
Our speakers were Mike Voigt from Rocky Point Artisan Brewing and Mike Mare from Secret Engine Brewing.