HHCBC October 2015 Meeting Notes
- Held Saturday, October 24 @ Great South Bay Brewery
- We had 9 beers at this event. Great event and great time.
International Beer Festival
- Saturday, November 7 @ Belmont Racetrack
- Two sessions = more beer!
- We will have 12 beers poured at this event.
- Tickets available at: http://www.greatbeerexpo.com/nassau/
Queens Beer Trip
- Sunday, November 15 will be our first train/subway based beer trip.
- Taking the LIRR to Woodside station, then taking the 7 train to the first brewery.
- Visiting Transmitter, Rockaway, and Big Alice Brewing.
- Planning a stop at Alewife for food (and beer), and if there’s time checking out The Beer Closet (a specialty beer store).
- See Danielle Malone for more info.
National Homebrew Conference
- I announced this last month, but it bears repeating:
- Next year the NHC will be held in Baltimore. June 9-11.
- Great event, with tons of seminars & discussions. A club night, where clubs set up and pour their best beers, and just all around a lot of fun.
- If there’s enough interest, we’ll convene a committee to coordinate having a club presence there.
LIBME Homebrew Competition
- The website is now live to enter the LIBME Homebrew competition. http://www.beermalt.net
- The competition takes place on November 21 @ GSB.
- Entry fees are $8. H&H is a drop off location.
- If you’re interested in judging or stewarding, you can sign up on the website too.
- I’d love to have a great showing from the club. And the award ceremony will happen that afternoon, so you can go down and have some GSB beer while you’re waiting for the results.
- In the process of scheduling the next class in the education series.
- The next class will be an evaluation and discussion of different hop varieties.
- Probably going to be the first weekend in December. More info to follow when it is firmed up.
- We’re going to have a couple of new officer positions formed and are looking for some volunteers.
- Membership coordinator – responsible for maintaining the membership logs, collecting dues (once we start collecting them), and getting places to participate in a member discount program. This position will be filled by Jason Scott.
- Events & marketing coordinator – coordinate club events and work with membership on club themed merchandise.
- Please see Sam, Pete, or Ken if you’re interested.
- The next meeting we will Tuesday, November 17 @ Croxley’s in Rockville Center.
Thanks to Dark Horse!
- Thanks to Kevin, Jamie, and Brad and all the great folks at Dark Horse for hosting us.
Brendan Kost from Southern Tier
- Brendan is the sales representative for Long Island for Southern Tier Brewing Company.
- Southern Tier is located in Lakewood, NY, in the Southwest corner of the state and is the third largest craft brewery in New York.
- Brendan spoke about the brewery and brought some great beer to sample.
- Thanks to Brendan and Southern Tier for bringing the samples and the contributions to the club raffle!