HHCBC August 2015 Meeting Notes
North Fork Beer Festival
- 8 beers were poured there; great time had by all.
- Saturday, October 24 @ Great South Bay Brewery
- Signup link was sent via email and posted to the Facebook group over the weekend.
- We will have 8 beers at this event.
- Focus is on Fall (pumpkin, spice, etc.) beers and German beer styles.
- If you have been interested in pouring at an event and don’t have kegging equipment, talk to Ken.
- Always a fun event. Beer, bands, etc.
International Beer Festival
- Saturday, November 7 @ Belmont Racetrack
- Signup link will be posted soon.
- Two sessions = more beer!
- We would like to see us have 16 beers poured here, so get brewing!
- As mentioned earlier, if you would like to brew but don’t have kegging equipment, speak with Ken.
Education – Off Flavor Class
- We will be doing the Off Flavor Class on Sunday, August 23 at 1PM @ H&H.
- The class will help you identify off-flavors in beer that are a result of brewing flaws or sanitation issues. It includes twelve different types of off-flavors.
- Class is currently full, but we’ve been able to get a hold of another off-flavor kit and will be scheduling a follow up in a couple of months.
National Homebrew Conference
- Next year the NHC will be held in Baltimore. June 9-11.
- If there’s enough interest, we’ll convene a committee to coordinate having a club presence there.
- Grapefruit Agave IPA group was won by John DiSpirito’s and Vanilla Coconut Cream Ale group was won by Peter Tripp’s team.
- A panel of judges evaluated the two winning beers and awarded the overall prize to Team Tripp.
- Immediately thereafter, Team DiSpirito challenged Team Tripp to a heads up brewing competition. Details to follow.
- T-shirts & hoodies are in. If you ordered one, please pick them up from Pete’s shop.
- On September 12, Homebrews and Handgrenades will be having a 2nd anniversary party. Details to follow.
- The next meeting we will Tuesday, September 15.
- This will be our 1st anniversary meeting and we will be back at Barrier.
Thanks to Effin Gruven!
- We want to take a moment to thank Mike and all the great folks here at Effin Gruven. It’s good to be back.
Mary Izett Presentation
- Mary has been long time staple of the NYC homebrewer’s community; Past president of two different beer clubs.
- National BCJP beer judge; this year she was the coordinator of the NYC regional round of the National Homebrew Competition.
- Radio show host, blogger, commercial brewer, and now author of Speed Brewing.
- Speed Brewing is available at: http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Brewing-Techniques-Recipes-Fast-Fermenting/dp/0760347379/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440691749&sr=8-1&keywords=speed+brewing
- Great presentation; great fast fermentables to try! The book is highly recommended.