CONSTITUTION OF THE HANDGRENADES HOMEBREW AND CRAFT BEER CLUB
(as adopted on January 19, 2016)
Section 1. Name
The name of this organization shall be the HANDGRENADES HOMEBREW AND CRAFT BEER CLUB (“HHCBC” or the “Club”).
Section 2. Purpose
The purpose of the HANDGRENADES HOMEBREW AND CRAFT BEER CLUB shall be to encourage all members:
To mature as brewers and beer enthusiasts;
To promote the dissemination of knowledge in the art of brewing;
To encourage and reward individuals, businesses and organizations dedicated to the brewing arts;
To educate the beer connoisseur in identifying the components of beers;
To encourage the development of the brewing community;
To foster the responsible use of the products of our craft; and
To celebrate the fruits of our labors.
Section 3. Membership
The membership of this Club shall be open to any person 21 years of age or greater who enjoys fine beers, either by making their own or by enjoying the work of others.
Section 4. Non-discrimination
Club membership shall not be denied to any person on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, ability, veteran status or national origin.
ARTICLE TWO: Government
Section 1. Supreme Law
All legislative and executive powers shall be given to and controlled by the Board of Directors.
The Board of Directors shall consist of all the Elected Officers of this Club.
Section 2. Elected Officers
The elected officers of the Club shall be: President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Membership Director and Marketing & Events Director. An elected office may be occupied by more than one person subject to Board approval.
Section 3. Term of Office
All offices shall be held for a period of one year, commencing at the January meeting following elections, and terminating at the following January meeting, one year later.
Section 4. Removal from Office
Any officer missing three Board of Directors meetings and/or six membership meetings during his/her term of office, without reasonable excuse, shall be removed from office and replaced as soon as possible.
A reasonable excuse shall be determined by the Board of Directors.
Any officer, as determined by a majority of the Board of Directors, found not performing his/her duties, may be removed from office, subject to the approval by a majority vote of the membership at the next membership meeting following a report from the Board of Directors to the membership.
Section 5. Vacancy of Office
Any interim vacancy on the Board of Directors shall be filled by appointment by the Board of Directors, subject to the approval by a majority vote of the membership at the next membership meeting following the vacancy.
In the event the membership votes down the appointment by the Board of Directors, there will be open nominations for the vacant office and an election held at said membership meeting to fill the vacancy.
Section 6. Returning of Club Property
All elected officers and any members, upon completion of their term in office or assignment, shall return to the Club any and all papers, documents, and property deemed to be important to the operation and history of, and belonging to, the Club.
Failure to comply may result in expulsion from the Club and civil action if deemed necessary.
ARTICLE THREE: Duties of Elected Officers
Section 1. President
The duties of the President shall be as follows:
- To uphold the Constitution and By-Laws of the Club
- To interpret the Constitution and By-Laws of this Club when necessary.
- To set the theme and agenda for the meetings.
- To call meetings to order and conduct them in an orderly manner.
- To call for special meetings when necessary.
- To form committees when necessary.
- Shall be an ex officio member of all committees.
Section 2. Vice-President
The duties of the Vice-President shall be as follows:
- To assist the President with his duties.
- If the President is absent from a meeting, the Vice-President shall assume the President’s power for that meeting.
Section 3. Secretary
The duties of the Secretary shall be as follows:
- To take the minutes of Board of Directors meetings and membership meetings
- To maintain a file of all minutes
- To manage the Club’s website, post meeting notes and upcoming activities to same.
- If the President and Vice-President are both absent from a meeting, then the Secretary shall chair the meeting
Section 4. Treasurer
The duties of the Treasurer shall be as follows:
- To administer the Club’s finances.
- To collect and document monies owed to the Club.
- To manage the club’s bank account(s) and arrange to have the President, Vice-President and him/her self (Treasurer) to have check signing authority.
- To reimburse eligible expenses incurred by members on behalf of the Club.
- To submit a report to the Board of Directors on a quarterly basis, or when requested by the President.
- To maintain the inventory of club gear, e.g. t-shirts, hats, glasses and more.
Section 5. Marketing & Events Director
The duties of the Marketing & Events Director shall be as follows:
- To arrange to have guest speakers and demonstrations at membership meetings.
- To arrange the club festivals
- To arrange for tours, workshops and seminars in which the Club may participate.
- To oversee raffles and auctions at events and membership meetings.
Section 6. Membership Director
The duties of the Membership Director shall be as follows:
- To maintain a current roster
- To issue membership cards
- To collect membership dues
- To organize membership drives.
- To proctor nominations and elections.
- To secure membership discounts and other benefits from local businesses.
Section 7. Member(s) At Large
The unelected and optional position of Member at Large is designated for member(s) approved by the Board of Directors who wish to actively participate and comment on the governance of the club. They shall have no official authority or duties except those prescribed to them by the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE FOUR: Quorums
A voting quorum at a membership meeting shall be no less than ten percent (10%) of the paid membership as reported by the Membership Director at the last Board of Directors meeting previous to the membership meeting where a vote(s) is (are) to be taken.
A quorum at a Board of Directors meeting shall consist of one half of the Board of Directors plus one.
ARTICLE FIVE: Election of Officers
Section 1. Eligibility
With the exception of the initial group of officers, any person who has been a paid member for at least six (6) months and is in good standing with this Club may run for an elected office.
Section 2. Nominations
Nominations will open at the October membership meeting and will close at the November membership meeting before balloting commences. The method of collecting nominees’ names shall be done at the discretion of the President or whoever is chairman at those meetings.
Section 3. Balloting
A secret ballot election shall be held at the November membership meeting. Only paid members with a membership card may vote. The President shall determine how the secret balloting will take place.
Section 4. Tally
The President shall form a committee of three members not running for office to tally the ballots.
After tabulating the results, the committee shall submit a report to the President as soon as possible, but no later than the next Board of Directors meeting. If any or all of the committee wish to present the report at the Board meeting instead, they may do so.
The new officer(s) for each office shall be that person(s) with a plurality of the votes for that office.
ARTICLE SIX: Installation of Officers
Section 1. New Officers
At the December membership meeting, officers-elect will begin a one month internship. Installation of the new officers shall occur at the January membership meeting.
Section 2. Officers Filling Vacancies
Any officer filling a vacancy shall be installed at the meeting at which the membership voted its approval.
Section 3. Certificate for Outgoing Officers
All outgoing officers shall be awarded a Certificate of Achievement in appreciation of their terms in office at the January meeting following their departure from office.
Section 4. Membership Grant for Elected Officers
All officers, determined by the Board of Directors to have completed a full active term in office, will be granted a year’s membership for the following year.
ARTICLE SEVEN: Meetings
Section 1. Membership Meetings
Membership meetings shall be held on the third Tuesday of each month at 7:30 PM at the posted location for said meeting, unless otherwise specified by the Board of Directors. All members are encouraged to attend these events and meetings.
Section 2. Board of Directors
Board of Directors meetings shall be at a time and place called by the President.
All officers are required to attend and submit a report pertinent to their office. Also, any member may attend these meetings.
ARTICLE EIGHT: Amendments
Section 1. Resolutions
From time to time it may be necessary to modify this Constitution and By-Laws. The procedure shall be as follows:
- Any individual, or committee, or the Board of Directors may write a resolution to modify this Constitution and By-Laws. It shall include the reason for the change, the article, the section, the paragraph, etc., where the change will occur, and what the change will be.
- If an individual member has drafted a resolution, he/she may present it to the Board of Directors for presentation to the membership or bring it to a membership meeting for presentation to the membership. The purpose of presenting it to the membership is to inform them about it.
- After presentation the membership shall vote on whether or not to accept the resolution for consideration.
- The resolution shall be posted on the website and distributed via electronic media after the initial membership approval.
- At the next membership meeting, the resolution will be voted on by the paid membership. A 2/3 majority is required for the resolution to be adopted.
ARTICLE NINE: Nonprofit Organization
Section 1. Status
Handgrenades Homebrew and Craft Beer Club, Inc. is a nonprofit organization registered with the State of New York. However, this does not give us a tax exemption under the Internal Revenue Service codes. The Club intends to apply for this status at a later time.
BY-LAWS OF THE HANDGRENADES HOMEBREW AND CRAFT BEER CLUB
(as adopted on January 19, 2016)
ARTICLE ONE: Membership
Section 1. Membership
Membership lasts for the calendar year in which the member joins, unless an extended membership period (approved by the Board of Directors) is being offered.
Section 2. Dues
Dues shall be determined by the Board of Directors and approved by the membership. Members shall receive a membership card, and may enjoy any other benefits that come along with membership in the Club.
Section 3. First-time Members
First time members may be charged a higher due rate for their first year’s membership. The extra fee shall be determined by the Board of Directors.
Section 4. Returning Members
After the initial membership period, dues will be required to continue as a member.
Returning members who do not renew shall be placed on an inactive list. If a returning member has not renewed for a period of five years, his/her name shall be dropped from the list.
Section 5. Family Membership
A family membership (covering all members of a household) may be offered. The family membership dues shall be determined by the Board of Directors and approved by the membership.
Section 6. Guests
Members are encouraged to bring guests to club meetings and other events. Guests should be recognized by other members and encouraged to join our club.
Section 7. Honorary Membership
The Board of Directors may elect to designate any person an Honorary Member of the Club for a time period determined by the Board at the time of dispensing such Honorary Membership. Honorary Membership entitles such person to any benefits as determined by the Board of Directors at the time of election of that title.
Section 8. Revocation of Membership
Membership may be revoked by a unanimous decision by the Board of Directors or a majority vote by all regular members.
Section 9. Membership Cards
The club shall provide to each member a card designating them as a member of the Club. Each card shall be minimally provided with name and a method to determine the member’s expiration date and current status. The card shall be required for all discounts and voting privileges except where waived by the Board of Directors or vendor.
Section 10. Hold Harmless Agreement
Participation in this club is entirely voluntary. Participation in club activities involves the consumption of alcoholic beverages and it may affect your perception and reactions. By joining the Club, you as a member accept full responsibility for your conduct, behavior, and actions. Participation includes any invited guests that accompany you on any club activity, wherever they may be held. All regular members will be required to sign a liability disclaimer.
Section 11. Non-Discrimination and Harassment Policy
The club does not condone, and will not allow discrimination against any member on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, ability, veteran status or national origin. The club does not condone, and will not allow sexual harassment by any member of any other member.
Failure to comply with these policies may result in revocation of club membership.
ARTICLE TWO: Website
Section 1. URL
The website URL for Handgrenades Homebrew and Craft Beer club is https://www.hhcbc.org.
Section 2. Responsibility
The Secretary shall be responsible for maintaining and updating the website.
Section 3. Contents
The website shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Minutes of membership meetings. Summaries of these meetings will be acceptable.
- Articles submitted by members of appropriate length and subject matter, as determined by the Secretary.
- A calendar of upcoming events.
- Information about upcoming competitions.
- Any other beer or brewing related information as deemed appropriate by the Secretary.
ARTICLE THREE: Section 1. Effective Date
January 19, 2016