- Interclub Social @ GSB – All three major homebrew clubs from LI got together at GSB. I can report that no knife fights or brawls occurred. Enjoyable afternoon spending time and making new friends with other homebrewers. Thanks to everyone who came out.
- Bayfest – We had 6 beers, 2 ciders and one hard tea poured there with great reception. All kegs went home empty. Thanks to everyone who brewed for that and spent their day with us.
Upcoming Festivals – 60 Years – 60 Beers
- We’ve been invited to pour at the 60 beers/60 years festival occurring on June 25 at Westbury music fair. We will be pouring in the VIP section.
- We’ve got room for six beers; there are two slots open.
- Tickets are available; come on out and join us.
LI Craft Beer Week
- Going on now. Check the website for events.
- This Thursday there is a Sour Beer Tap Takeover at Black Sheep. A bunch of club members are going.
NHC Update – Danielle
- If you’re going to Homebrewcon, make sure you are in the Facebook group for that, or that Danielle has your email address to get you info.
- BEER held their 20th homebrew competition on May 7.
- HHCBC had another great showing with 7 medals. Congrats to John DiSpirito for his continued domination of beer competitions with winning 1st place in Specialty IPA, Best in Show, and Brewer’s Cup for his THO Black Rye IPA. Great job John!
- Congrats to everyone who medaled:
- Tom Weber won first place in Mead & Cider and 2nd place in international beer & lager
- Dan Lutz won 1st place in English Bitters & IPAs and 3rd place in Mead & Cider
- Pat Tully & Mike Gavigan won 1st place in S/H/V
- Scott Rung won 2nd place in English Strong Ales.
- Big round of applause for all the award winners!
- The next style class will be held on June 26 @ 1PM at H&H.
- We will be doing BJCP Categories 18 & 19 – Pale American Ales and Amber and Brown American Ales.
- Class will be limited to 12 participants. Cost will be a function of the beer and the materials.
- Priority will be given to Charter Members; if the class does not sell out, it will open up to non-charter members two weeks before the class date.
- We have rebooted the club competition.
- Hopefully all those that entered brought there entries tonight. We will be judging them soon.
- The top beers will be presented to our friends at The Brewer’s Collective. At the Collective’s option, the winning beer will be brewed on their system with the winning brewer, and that beer will be served in the Collective’s tasting room.
- We had 7 entries, which is less than expected. If you were aware of the competition and was considering entering but didn’t, please let me know why. There is no cost and no reason not to enter.
- Eight different Girl Scout Cookie beers were presented. Not a clunker in the bunch.
- Result of popular vote:
- 1st Place – Team Tagalong
- 2nd Place – Team Samoa
- 3rd Place – Team Do-Si-Do
- Congrats to the winners, and thanks to all who participated.
Member Discount Update
- All Island Beverage on Merrick Road in Bellmore now gives Charter Members 10% off.
Club Merch Update
- Second run of embroidered work shirts are in. Pick yours up at H&H if you haven’t already.
- We are going to be getting more t-shirts in and hope to have them by the next meeting.
- The next meeting will be Tuesday, June 21 @ Barrier Brewing in Oceanside.
Thanks to Swingbellys!
- Big thanks to Jamie, James and the staff at Swingbelly’s for inviting us down and showing us great hospitality – and BBQ!