HHCBC August 2016 Meeting Notes
LI Craft Classic (Formerly North Fork Festival)
- August 6 @ Hecksher State Park
- We had 7 beers and two ciders poured there, including two beers on nitro.
- Great event, lots of fun. Looking forward to next year.
First Annual Club BBQ
- We had the first Club BBQ on Saturday, July 23rd at Eric Sowa’s house.
- Big thanks to Eric for hosting, and thanks to all who came.
- Sam really enjoyed it, and hope that those who came did as well.
- We’re working on planning the next club event.
Brew Day with Gordon Strong
- HHCBC, Homebrews & Handgrenades, and LIBME have collaborated on getting Gordon Strong to Long Island this past weekend.
- Gordon did a brew day/Q&A session at H&H on Aug 13, and a book signing afterwards.
- On Sunday there was a beer brunch with a discussion by Gordon at Jackson’s.
Learn to brew – all grain clinic / social brew day
- Saturday, August 20, John DiSpirito will be hosting a “Learn to Brew” / Social brew day at his home in East Meadow.
- There will be multiple people brewing and a bunch of us will be there watching/helping/heckling.
- If you’re interested, see John.
BJCP Tasting Exam
- We had a few members take the BJCP tasting exam a couple of weeks ago.
- Best of luck to them.
Great Beer Expo @ Belmont
- November 5th
- Always a great time.
- Signup https://www.hhcbc.org/festivals/
Brew for a cure
- November 19th in Maspeth, Queens.
- Open style homebrew competition.
- Limited amount of homebrewer spots. Sign up soon if you want to pour your beer there.
- Charity event, all proceeds go to support St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital.
Club only competition now open
- Next competition will be held in September
- Open to Charter Members.
- Now open to register on the competition website: https://www.hhcbc.org/competition
- Entries have to be submitted by the September meeting, either at H&H or by bringing them to the September meeting.
- The top beers will be submitted to The Brewer’s Collective for their review. They will select which beer (if any will be brewed on their system and sold in their tap room).
- Currently no entries for the competition. If we don’t get at least six entries in the next week or so, we are going to cancel it.
Next Chopped competition
- New chopped teams announced. Style will be Pumpkin beers.
- Bracket style voting at the October meeting.
- MAPLE – AJ D’Amico, Ken Heiss, Tim Schilling, Matt Zinser
- CARAMEL – Eric Sowa, Tom Weber, Steve Oh & B-sh Boshnack, Nick Cimorelli
- CHOCOLATE – John Trowbridge, Rob Bystricky, Pat Tulley, Lenny Lasala & Marteinn Sigurðsson
- LACTOSE – Scott Rung, Erik Albrecht, Glenn Winters, Chris Bonacorsa
- GINGER – Russ & Danielle Malone, Christopher Cerney, James Liquori, Kristine & Brian
- MOLASSES – Peter Tripp, John Smith, Bernie Ramchatesingh and Claudia Chavez, Gabe Tovar
- MARSHMALLOW – Sam Schuster, Jason & Marty Scott, Andrew Schumway, Greg Wright
- CLOVE – Ken Dalton, Johnny Soj, Mike Gavigan & Sarah Elizabeth, Michelanna Pagano
- If you’re interested in participating and aren’t on a team, contact Ken Dalton.
- Membership prices for 2016 have been reduced. The remainder of the year will be $15 for an individual membership, $25 for a family.
- If you’re interested in becoming a member, see Jason Scott.
- The next meeting will be Tuesday, September 20 at the Black Sheep in Mineloa.
Thanks to Press 195!
- We want to take a moment to thank Press 195 for having us back.
- Always good to be here. Great food and beer selection.
Our Speaker was Kevin from Lithology