Interclub Stein Brew Challenge
- The first interclub challenge was held on February 23 at Great South Bay Brewery.
- 5 Long Island homebrew clubs were given a portion of the Stein Beer that LIBME brewed over the winter, with the instructions to modify it as we see fit.
- Our beer was modified with rum-soaked oak chips and pumpkin spice.
- It was a close vote, but we won the voting.
- Big props to Ken Dalton for his work on that beer!
Queens/Bronx Brewery Bus Trip
- Bronx Brewery, Single Cut and Gunn Hill.
- Sunday, April 19. We’ve got 3 spots available on the bus.
- If you would like to secure a spot, please contact Danielle Malone with a $20 deposit. Cost of the trip is expected to be $55.
- Open spots are available to people outside the club.
Spring Craft Beer Festival
- March 21st at Nassau Coliseum. This is the last time it’s going to be there.
- We are all set up to pour there and will have twelve brewers there; six pouring for each session.
- If you’re pouring and have any questions, contact Ken Dalton.
- If you arrive early you can drive in to drop off your kegs.
- Tickets are still available: http://www.springcraftbeerfestival.com/tickets.html
- T-Shirt order will be ready this Friday.
- If you’re pouring at Nassau, Sam Schuster will bring the shirts to the coliseum.
- If you paid in advance, you can pick up your shirt and Homebrews & Handgrenades beginning Sunday.
- If you “ordered” but haven’t paid yet, you can pick up the shirts at Sam’s house.
- You’ve got until the next meeting to pay; otherwise they will be first-come, first-serve.
- If you didn’t get a chance to get a shirt this time around, we will be doing another run once these have all been picked up. Watch the Facebook page and email list for more details.
First Round Judging for the National Homebrew Competition
- Friday, March 27th and Saturday, March 28th at Singlecut Beersmiths in Queens.
- You can volunteer to judge or steward.
- If you don’t have entries in the competition, use this form: https://brewingcompetition.com/(S(mxfbbyd0ubtbwnghtmu244ze))/register.aspx
- If you have entered the competition, use this form: https://www.brewingcompetition.com/
- Sam Schuster will be judging, contact him if you’re interested in carpooling.
Beer Brunch at The Good Life
- March 29th @ 9AM at The Good Life in Massapequa Park.
- Speaker is Michael Tonsmeire, author of American Sour Beers and the Mad Fermentationist Blog.
- There will be a presentation, and you can get a book signed by the author.
- Sam went to a similar event last year with John Palmer. The food was great and the beer pairings were excellent. Highly recommended event. Tickets are still available and are $39.50.
- Tickets available here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/michael-tonsmeire-beer-brunch-tickets-15686389413
- Sam, Pete, & Ken will be there. Hope to see you there too.
B.E.E.R. Homebrew Competition
- Brewer’s East End Revival, one of our fellow LI clubs, is holding their annual homebrew competition.
- Competition is on Saturday, May 9th at GSB.
- Entries will be accepted between April 11th and May 1st.
- Competition website: http://www.beerhbc.org/NewSite/beer19hbc/
- Homebrews & Handgrenades is a drop-off spot for entries.
- Saturday, May 16 is Bayfest at Great South Bay Brewery.
- We will be pouring there with 6-8 brewers.
- Please see Ken Dalton or Erik Albrecht if you’re interested in brewing for the event.
New Club Only Competition
- We are excited to announce a new club-only competition.
- Once per quarter we will hold a competition, judged by BJCP judges, judges-in-training, and Barrier employees.
- If the beer is good enough, and makes sense to brew here, the winner will brew their beer with Barrier, have it served here, and potentially delivered to local establishments.
- The results from the first competition will be announced during our next meeting here in June. More details to follow on when the entries have to be submitted by and how many we will accept in total.
New Facebook page
- The volume of activity and discussion on the HHCBC Facebook Group has been great.
- We want to keep that going.
- In order to make it easier to find “official” club postings, a HHCBC Facebook page has been created. If you’re on FB, please make sure you like the club page to get updates.
- Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/HandgrenadesHomebrewClub
The New York Best Wings Festival
- Sunday, June 7 is the NY Best Wings Festival. http://nybestwingsfestival.com/
- We will be pouring beer at the event, with six brewers pouring.
- See Ken or Erik for more details.
Social Brew Days / All Grain Clinics
- Now that the weather is getting nicer, we’d like to start scheduling some social brew days and/or all grain clinics.
- The idea is that a bunch of us get together and brew in groups.
- A number of people expressed interest in either hosting or being a team leader (or both).
- More details to follow soon.
- Kegging sale ongoing at the shop.
- Pete will post on Facebook before he puts a Wyeast order in, incase anyone wants to order something special.
- The next meeting will be at Mr. Beery’s on Tuesday, April 21. Located on Hempstead Tpke in Bethpage.
- We’re working on locking in the guest. More details to follow.
- Raffled off a bottle of Pliny the Elder, a bottle of Jameson’s Black Label, and 10 pounds of malt from NY Craft Malt.
- TJ Fox won this month’s raffle.
Thanks to Barrier Brewery
- Thanks again to Evan and all great folks here at Barrier for being our host and opening up just for us.
- We are very grateful to have such a great home brewery!